My Inheritance, a Typewriter


            My Grandma always mentioned getting the typewriter working again.  Every time I climbed on top of the loft bed in the office that used to be my uncle’s bedroom to play around with the keys, she would say that it would work if only she could find a ribbon for it.  She would then go on to talk about her time in school and how she had to take a test when she wanted to be a secretary.  In order to be even considered for a job, she had to be able to type a certain number of words per minute.  She could have gone to college, she did well in high school and even won a scholarship, but her family was not wealthy.  Besides, college was boring, more school.  Joining the workforce, being a secretary in Manhattan was glamorous, much better than the other two options afforded female professionals in those days, a nurse (gross, blood) or a teacher (gross, children).
            I know now that while the numbers were fairly limited, there were jobs afforded to women in the 1950s other than just teacher, nurse, or secretary.  Had she gone to college, my grandmother could have been a journalist—she loved to write and was good at it—or she could have worked in a department store.  Tall and thin, it wouldn’t be hard to imagine her in a cute little shop girl outfit, hawking perfume and jewelry to wealthy tourists and upper west siders.  But if she ever wanted to pursue a different profession, my Grandma never mentioned it.  She loved being a secretary for all its faults, bosses who demanded a kiss at company parties, executives who’s hands wandered far below the small of your back, it was just something to deal with, a story used to commiserate with female friends and then, much later, to horrify your teenage granddaughter.
            “Some things I can’t even tell you,” she said once, “when you’re older.”  I was probably around seventeen when she said that, and I made a mental note of the line.  I didn’t know what she meant by older, but I assumed that it would happen eventually.  Unsurprisingly in the type of essay such as this, eventually never happened.  She died, suddenly and unexpectedly, almost exactly a year after my Grandfather, the love of her life.  I never expected her to die at the relatively young age of seventy-six.  Anyone who saw her thought that she was at least two decades younger than she was, and she was often mistaken for my mother.  She exercised daily and kept a more active social calendar than me, trips to Europe, Broadway plays, Arthur Avenue dinners, you name it, she did it. 
However, there was a definite change after my grandfather died.  Always dramatic, my Grandma became downright maudlin.  She could be hard to be around.  A few months after he passed, I slept over her house with the stipulation that she promise not to cry because I couldn’t take the constant tears.  She kept to her word, and we had a very nice time.  Between the two of us, we drank almost a full bottle of white wine—which makes the lack of tears that much more impressive—and then watched the second season of Master of None.  It would have been the perfect night for her to tell me the rest of her secrets about her life as a secretary, but I didn’t ask.  We were having too good of a time in the present, and I didn’t want to bring up the past.
            Death lingers.  Long after the formalities, the wake and funeral (a bizarre mix of Christian and Jewish traditions that certainly made my grandma smile), we are still dealing with tidying up the estate.  She still lived in the house my mom and her siblings grew up in, and used every nook and cranny to store memories of not only her life, but also that of her parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.  I come from a long line of picture takers, and now we find ourselves struggling under the weight of hundreds of photo albums and almost no idea what to do with them.  Most things I could take or leave— jewelry’s nice, but I rarely wear it, and my room’s already bursting with stuff as it is—but I felt very strongly about wanting the typewriter.  It didn’t even belong to my grandmother.  It was her Aunt Betty’s, who died when I was a baby, her mind already long lost to Alzheimer’s, but I press down on those keys, and I am back on the loft while she’s down below at her desk.  We don’t even need to be talking.  I’m busy pretending to be Kit Kittredge, the American Girl Doll she got me for Christmas one year—I liked the doll but was far more interested in the books about the girl who wrote in her attic bedroom on her old typewriter about her childhood in the Great Depression—and she’s sending emails or playing solitaire.  I don’t know if it’s a memory rooted in reality, but it’s a memory nonetheless and it’s a connection to a person who’s absence still leaves a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. 
            As soon as I got the typewriter back to my house, I set out to get it to work.  She said it needed a ribbon, so I ordered one on Amazon, along with a bottle of liquid bearings typewriter oil that promised to help fix sticky keys.  I watched YouTube videos so that I could follow along as old men threaded ribbons and demonstrated how to clean faulty mechanisms.  I even found a pdf copy of the user manual for the model typewriter that I had.  After several hours (and several q-tips), I finally got the damn thing working.  The ribbon doesn’t move like it should and the “u” still sticks, but it types, and I have the error-riddled first attempts to prove it. 
            To be completely honest, the whole process has been a little underwhelming.  There’s a reason why I’m typing this on my mac and not the typewriter.  My twenty-first century fingers are not used to the effort it takes to press down on each key in order to get a good strike against the page.  If anything, I’m now much more impressed by her story of acing the word per minute test than I was the first time I heard it.  I also didn’t realize how heavily I rely on the backspace key when I do type, and thus far everything I have attempted looks like it was written by a barely literate seven-year-old.  At first I was frustrated, I should be getting more enjoyment out of this, I thought, this should mean something, what would Kit Kittredge say?  But then I reminded myself that I was being ridiculous.  I can’t be the only person in history ever to be frustrated by a typewriter.  If I was, I’d still be using one.
There’s probably some lesson in all this about how antiques remind us to slow down and take our time with projects, a concept that modern amenities have all but eliminated, but that’s not my real take away here.  I thought that getting the typewriter working would make me feel something and maybe even strengthen the connection between me and my grandmother, but it doesn’t mean anything now that she’s not here to see it.  Even if she were alive when I got this thing working, it wouldn’t matter.  It would be fun for about five minutes and then we’d move onto something else.  I’ve internalized the typewriter to be a token of the good times I spent over at my grandparent’s house: Wednesday afternoons when they would pick us up from school and we would eat dinner over, times when my “sick” brother and I would convince our grandfather to take us to Blockbuster to rent a movie, eating my grandmother’s specialty, Ronzoni elbow macaroni.  Whether or not it functions as it should, it will always function as a link to the past and in that regard it works perfectly. 

The Typewriter, along with several dirty Q-Tips (Q-Tips, please sponsor me)



Comments

  1. OMG! That was absolutely perfect! I know your grandmother is smiling along with me.

    When I first saw the picture of the typewriter, I was immediately going to ask you, "Is it a Royal?" I could feel the keys and hear the clickety clack in my head. It was a rhythm that went down to your toes. We learned how to type with a blank keyboard on the machine. In the front of the classroom was a pull-down, enlarged picture of the corresponding letters and numbers. Next to us on the desk was a typing book with a gazillion different exercises for us to memorize the keyboard. Along with this, keep in mind (if you dare) there was no spell check. Only the dictionary that was on the other side of the desk. A few years ago, I went to college. In my Journalism class, I was the only one who consistently earned 100% on all spelling tests each week. At the end of the course, my professor made this announcement and asked me to speak to class on how I had accomplished this grade. I laughed. No secret. If I wanted to keep my (secretarial) job, I HAD TO spell correctly.

    Your grandma and grandpa moved to Norwood around the same time as we did. We traveled in the same social and NPS circles. Our kids grew up together. Somehow, we rarely talked about ourselves and our pre-married-with-children lives. Everything was always about our families and what they were doing. I've often said--though I didn't fully know or appreciate it back then--there was no place better on the face of the Earth to raise kids than in Norwood, NJ. It was the best of all worlds. It had the culture and, somehow by osmosis, it lent the sophistication of The City to growing up in a rather country setting.

    For the past ten years or so, your grandma and I became reacquainted through Facebook. Without the focus of our children, we were surprised to learn how very much we had had in common. I, too, had aspired to attend college, but my parents couldn't afford it, and, I guess, I wasn't independent or ambitious (a little of both) enough to work my way through. No. Instead, I went to Berkeley Secretarial School and set off for the exciting life of working in Manhattan. It is something I've never regretted. Though my salary only covered, lunches, two pair of high heels, and subway or bus traveling expenses, I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything in the world. Your grandma and I agreed on that, a lot. Every day was an adventure. We were not smart like today's "Administrative Assistants" (21st Century terminology for secretary) who traverse the subways and pavement in sneakers and change into "heels" when they get to work. Nope. We walked in all types of weather, stood on subways and buses in high heels! We were there for the infamous Transit Strike (and walked 'cross town in spikes); THE blackout; Kennedy's Assassination and so much more. As your grandma and I discussed, if you ever would like to really get a feel for life in Manhattan's early 60s, watch Mad Men. The bosses worked in the morning and then took three hour lunches (if they came back at all).

    Linda and I always were amazed at how we never knew just how simpatico we were and how our early lives really paralleled each others. Fourteen years ago, I moved from Norwood to Florida. Your grandma and I always talked about having a long lunch date. Sadly, she left too soon and that never happened. We shared so much of our lives on Social Media and I met her most ever night on Words With Friends (she was a killer)! I know she is smiling at that Royal typewriter. You can master it. I weighed 90 lbs soaking wet and typed 150 words a minute. It's amazing how strong your fingers can be! Your writing is beautiful. Keep it going.

    You're doing your grandmother proud!

    xo Barbara Baptiste - Welcome to Barbara's World https://welcometobarbarasworldofeducation.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/my-family-story/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Fun Time: Quarantine Edition

On the Difficulties of Parenthood, as a 22 Year Old with No Children